Foxboro MA Athletic Injury Safety Tips
For many people who participate in any organized sport, they will experience an increased risk of injury or accidents. A Foxboro MA chiropractor would like to offer a few safety tips to help athletes avoid injury:
- Always warm up before a scheduled activity – Warming up muscles and stretching ligaments improves your body’s functionality, and decreases the risk for a tendon or muscle strain.
- Always cool down afterwards – Cooling down will help to prevent post-workout soreness, and will also help the heart to get back to its regular pre-workout rhythm.
- Use the right equipment – If you wear helmets, pads or shoes that are either too large or too small, it may cause injuries. Your footwear should be snug and supportive but not too tight.
- Take it slow – Don’t be a weekend warrior. Start out slowly and then gradually increase your workout intensity. If your body’s been inactive, suddenly running 6 miles will deliver a shock to the system. Start by walking, then progress to slow jogging, and finally to regular jogging.
- Do some stretches or other activity during the week, every other day – Don’t wait for the weekend only for workouts.
- Let your body rest properly after you’ve injured yourself – Your body needs time to heal, so that your muscles and joints can completely recover.
- Cross-train – Mix it up a bit. Don’t focus on just one activity.
- Stay hydrated.
- Use the RICE method – Rest, Ice, then Compression and Elevation after an injury.
A Foxboro MA chiropractor is waiting to address any athletic injuries you many have sustained. They offer spinal adjustments, manipulation of your extremities (foot, shoulder, knee, etc.), and spinal decompression therapy. They also offer myofascial therapy for tendonitis, tight muscles, and muscle stiffness, employing trigger-point therapy, active-release technique, and assisted soft-tissue mobilization using a Graston instrument.
In addition, they will provide personalized rehabilitation exercise programs to address extremity and spinal complaints, ultrasound, Russian stimulation, interferential current therapy, and nutritional consultation. Contact a Foxboro MA chiropractor at your earliest convenience to schedule an appointment or a consultation.